Professor and Department Head
216 Talbot Laboratory
Professor and Department Head
216 Talbot Laboratory
For more information
- University of Illinois, Ph.D., Nuclear Engineering, 1987
- University of Illinois, M.S., Nuclear Engineering, 1983
- Middle East Technical University, B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 1980
- Associate Head of Academic Programs, Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, August 2013 - August 2017
- Fellow; National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCAS), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, August 2008 â€“ August 2009
- Professor, Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering, and Professor of Computational Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, August 2006 â€“ Present
- Associate Professor, Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering, and Associate Professor of Computational Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, August 2000 â€“ August 2006
- Assistant Professor, Nuclear Engineering and Assistant Professor of Computational Science & Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, August 1996 - August 2000
- Visiting Professor, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands, June -July 1999
- Assistant Professor, Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering, Engineering Physics, University of Virginia, 1992 - 1996
- Research Assistant Professor, Nuclear Engineering and Engineering Physics, University of Virginia, 1988 - 1992
- Nuclear Engineering Education
- Virtual Reality
- Computational Biology
- Nonlinear Dynamical Systems
- Reactor Thermal Hydraulics and Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Homogenization Techniques
- Nuclear Reactor Theory
- Computational Methods
- Advanced Reactor Designs
- Computational Multi-Fluid Dynamics
- Instrumentation and Control
- Multi-Physics Modeling and Simulation
- Reactor Analysis Methods
- Reactor Physics
- Reactor Thermal-Hydraulics
- Reactor Transient and Accident Analysis
- Training and Education, Human Factors
- Twoâ€Phase Flow and Heat Transfer
- Verification, Validation and Uncertainty Methods
Selected Articles in Journals
- Anjie Hu, Longjian Li, Rizwan-uddin, Force Method in a Pseudo-Potential Lattice Boltzmann Model, Journal of Computational Physics , 294, 78-89, (2015).
- Rijan Shrestha and Rizwan-uddin, Modeling spaceâ€“time evolution of flux in a traveling wave reactor, Annals of Nuclear Energy, 70, 90-95 (2014)
- Hitesh Bindra and Rizwan-uddin, Effects of modeling assumptions on the stability domain of BWRs, Annals of Nuclear Energy, 67, 13-20 (2014)
- Suneet Singh, Prashant K Jain, Rizwan-uddin, Finite Integral Transform Technique to Solve Asymmetric Heat Conduction in a Multilayer Annulus with Time Dependent Boundary Conditions, Nuclear Engg and Design, 241, 144-154 (2011).
- Jianwei Hu, A.C. Hayes, W.B. Wilson and Rizwan-uddin, Fission Gas Production in Reactor Fuels Including the Effects of Ternary Fission, Nuclear Engg and Design, 240, 3751â€“3757 (2010).
- Teruel F., Rizwan-uddin, Numerical Computation of Macroscopic Turbulence Quantities in Representative Elementary Volumes of the Porous Medium, Int J Heat Mass Transfer, 53, 5190â€“5198 (2010).
- Suneet Singh and Rizwan-uddin, Parallel Modified Nodal Integral Method for 3D Time-dependent Incompressible Navier-Stokes & Energy Equations, Progress in Computational Fluid Dynamics, An International Journal, 10, No. 2, 100-112 (2010).
- Prashant K Jain, Suneet Singh, Rizwan-uddin, An Exact Analytical Solution for Two-Dimensional, Unsteady, Multilayer Heat Conduction in Spherical Coordinates, Int. Journal of Heat & Mass Transfer, 53, 2133â€“2142 (2010).
- Federico Teruel and Rizwan-uddin, An Innovative Research Reactor Design, Nucl Engg and Design, 239, 2, 395-407 (2009).
- Teruel F., Rizwan-uddin, Characterization of a porous medium employing numerical tools: Permeability and pressure-drop from Darcy to turbulence, Int J Heat Mass Transfer, 52, 5878â€“5888 (2009).
- Teruel F., Rizwan-uddin, A new turbulence model for porous media flows. Part II: analysis and validation using microscopic simulations, Int J Heat Mass Transfer, 52, 5193â€“5203 (2009).
- Teruel F., Rizwan-uddin, A new turbulence model for porous media flows. Part I: constitutive equations and model closure, Int J Heat Mass Transfer. 52, 4264â€“4272 (2009).
- Suneet Singh and Rizwan-uddin, k-Îµ Modeling Using Modified Nodal Integral Method, Nucl. Engg and Design, 239, 1314â€“1322 (2009).
- Prashant K Jain, Adrian Tentner and Rizwan-uddin, A Lattice Boltzmann Framework to Simulate Boiling Water Reactor Core Hydrodynamics, Computer and Mathematics with Applications, 58, No. 5 , 975-986 (2009).
- Prashant K Jain, Suneet Singh, Rizwan-uddin, Transient Analytical Solution to Asymmetric Heat Conduction in a Multilayer Annulus, Journal of Heat Transfer, 131, 011304â€”1-7 (2009).
- Prashant K Jain, Rizwan-uddin, Numerical analysis of supercritical flow instabilities in a natural circulation loop, Nuclear Engineering and Design, 238, 1947â€“1957 (2008).
- Abdelhamid Dokhane, Dieter Hennig, Rizwan-uddin, Rakesh Chawla, BWR stability and bifurcation analysis using reduced order models and system codes: Identification of a subcritical Hopf bifurcation using RAMONA, Annals of Nuclear Energy, 34 (10), 792-802 (2007).
- Abdelhamid Dokhane, Dieter Hennig, Rizwan-uddin, Rakesh Chawla, Interpretation of in-phase and out-of-phase BWR oscillations using an extended reduced order model and semi-analytical bifurcation analysis, Annals of Nuclear Energy, 234 (4), 271-287 (2007).
- Sheldon Landsberger, Steven Biegalski, Sean O'Kelly, Rizwan-uddin, James Stubbins, William Miller, Mark Prelas, Kenneth C Okafor and Kenneth D Lewis, Recent Advances in Nuclear Engineering Education in the USA, 71-73, Nuclear Energy, (2006).
- Rizwan-uddin, Turning Points and Sub- and Supercritical Bifurcations in A Simple BWR Model, Nuclear Engineering and Design, 236, 267-283 (2006).
- Fei Wang and Rizwan-uddin, Modified Nodal Integral Method for the Three-Dimensional, Time-Dependent, Incompressible Navier-Stokes Equations, Nucl. Sci. and Engg., 149, 107-114 (2005).
- Quan Zhou and Rizwan-uddin, In-phase and Out-of-Phase Oscillations in BWRs: Impact of Azimuthal Asymmetry and Second Pair of Eigenvalues, Nucl. Sci. and Engg, 151, 95-113 (2005).
- Fei Wang and Rizwan-uddin, A Modified Nodal Scheme for the Time-Dependent, Incompressible Navier-Stokes Equations, J. Comp. Physics, 187, 168-196 (2003).
- Allen J. Toreja and Rizwan-uddin, Hybrid Numerical Methods for Convection-Diffusion Equation in Arbitrary Geometries, Computers & Fluids, 32, No. 6, 835-872 (2003).
- Allen J. Toreja and Rizwan-uddin, Adaptive Mesh Refinement for the Time-Dependent Nodal Integral Method, Nucl. Sci. Engg, 142, 85-95 (2002).
- Rizwan-uddin, Comparison of the Nodal Integral Method and Non-Standard Finite-Difference Schemes for the Fisher Equation, SIAM J. Scientific Computing, 22 (6), 1926-1942 (2001).
- D.D.B. van Bragt, Rizwan-uddin and T.H.J.J. van der Hagen, Effect of Void Distribution Parameter and Axial Power Profile on BWR Bifurcation Characteristics, Nuclear Science & Engineering, 134, 227-235, (2000).
- D.D.B. van Bragt, Rizwan-uddin and T.H.J.J. van der Hagen, Nonlinear Analysis of a Natural Circulation Boiling Water Reactor, Nuclear Science & Engineering, 131, 23-44 (1999).
- A.A. Aghili, Rizwan uddin, M.P. Griffin and J.R. Moorman, Scaling and Ordering of Neonatal Heart Rate Variability, Phy. Rev. Lett., 74, 7, 1254 1257 (1995).
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Kai Huang and Rizwan-uddin, Modified Nodal Integral Method Incorporated with Irregular-Shape Elements for Navier-Stokes Equations, in Proc. Int. Conf on Advances in Mathematics, Computational Methods, and Reactor PhysicsÃ¢â‚¬â€M&C2009, Saratoga Springs, New York, May 3-7, (2009).
- Hsingtzu, Wu and Rizwan-uddin Live Webcast of a Nuclear Engineering Laboratory, in the Proc. of ANS/ENS CONTE - The Conference on Nuclear Training and Education, FL, (2009).
- Executive Committee member of Rad. Prot. & Shielding Division of ANS (1998-2001)
- Member ANS, ASME, ASEE
Service on University Committees
- CSE Steering Committee
Service on Department Committees
- Qualifying Exam Committee (rotated)
- Engineering Council Award for Excellence in Advising (2009)
- NCSA University of Illinois Fellow, 2008-2009 (2008-2009)
- ANS Students Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, (1998-1999, 1999-2000, 2000-2001, 2001-2002, 2004-2005, 2006-2007, 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2015-2016)
- General Electric (Teaching) Scholar (1997)
- Partial list of Excellent Teachers (1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- Outstanding Teaching Award (1994)
- Fellow of the American Nuclear Society (2014)
- Ph.D. advisor to the recipient of ANS' Mark Mills Award (Prashant Jain) for Best Ph.D. Dissertation (2010)
- Advisor to three students who received Best Paper Award (2005)
- Ph.D. advisor to the recipient of ANS' Mark Mills Award (Quan Zhou) for Best Ph.D. Dissertation (2005)
- Ph.D. advisor to the recipient of ANS' Mark Mills Award (Allen J. Toreja) for Best Ph.D. Dissertation (2003)
- Second Best Graduate Student Paper Award (2003)
- Second Best Graduate Student Paper Award (2000)
- Best Paper Award, ANS M & C Meeting (1999)
- Young Members Engineering Achievement Award (1999)
- University of Virginia's Allan Talbott Gwathmey Memorial Award for Best Graduate Research in Basic Sciences (1988)
- American Nuclear Society's Mark Mills Award for Best Ph.D. Dissertation (1987)
- Attended Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Retreat at UIUC, Jan 2003
- Taught NPRE-247 and NPRE-355 in Anderson Lab (4th floor of Engineering Hall) for future internet based curriculum for NPRE.
- ENG 471 - Seminar Energy & Sustain Engrg
- ENG 572 - EnergySystems Prof Practicum
- ENG 572 - Energy Systems Practicum
- ENG 572 - Energy Systems
- ENG 572 - Professional Practicum
- ENG 573 - Capstone Project
- ENG 573 - Energy Systems Project
- ENG 573 - Energy Systems
- ENG 573 - Energy Systems Practicum
- ENG 573 - EnergySystems Capstone Project
- GLBL 480 - Energy and Security
- GLBL 483 - Seminar on Security
- NPRE 100 - Orientation to NPRE
- NPRE 199 - Undergraduate Seminar
- NPRE 455 - Neutron Diffusion & Transport
- NPRE 480 - Energy and Security
- NPRE 483 - Seminar on Security
- NPRE 501 - Fundamentals of Nuclear Engrg
- NPRE 596 - Seminar in Nuclear Sci & Engrg
- PS 480 - Energy and Security