Professor and Department Head
- Undergraduate Advising
216 Talbot Laboratory
Professor and Department Head
- Department Office
- Staff Display
216 Talbot Laboratory
For more information
- University of Illinois, Ph.D., Nuclear Engineering, 1987
- University of Illinois, M.S., Nuclear Engineering, 1983
- Middle East Technical University, B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 1980
- Associate Head of Academic Programs, August 2013 - August 2017
- Fellow; NCSA, University of Illinois, August 2008 ? August 2009
- Professor, Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering, August 2006 ? Present
- Associate Professor ? August 2000 ? August 2006
- Assistant Professor, August 1996 ? August 2000
- Visiting Professor, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands, June ? July 1999
- Assistant Professor of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering, Engineering Physics, University of Virginia - 1992 ? 1996
- Research Assistant Professor of Nuclear Engineering and Engineering Physics, University of Virginia 1988 - 1992
- Nuclear Engineering Education
- Virtual Reality
- Computational Biology
- Nonlinear Dynamical Systems
- Reactor Thermal Hydraulics and Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Homogenization Techniques
- Nuclear Reactor Theory
- Computational Methods
- Advanced Reactor Designs
- Computational Multi-Fluid Dynamics
- Instrumentation and Control
- Multi-Physics Modeling and Simulation
- Reactor Analysis Methods
- Reactor Physics
- Reactor Thermal-Hydraulics
- Reactor Transient and Accident Analysis
- Training and Education, Human Factors
- Two-Phase Flow and Heat Transfer
- Verification, Validation and Uncertainty Methods
Selected Articles in Journals
- Anjie Hu, Longjian Li, Rizwan-uddin, Force method in a pseudo-potential lattice Boltzmann model, Journal of Computational Physics, 294, 78-89, (2015).
- Rijan Shrestha and Rizwan-uddin, Modeling space?time evolution of flux in a traveling wave reactor, Annals of Nuclear Energy, 70, 90-95 (2014)
- Hitesh Bindra and Rizwan-uddin, Effects of modeling assumptions on the stability domain of BWRs, Annals of Nuclear Energy, 67, 13-20 (2014)
- Suneet Singh, Prashant K Jain, Rizwan-uddin, Finite Integral Transform Technique to Solve Asymmetric Heat Conduction in a Multilayer Annulus with Time Dependent Boundary Conditions, Nuclear Engg and Design, 241, 144-154 (2011).
- Jianwei Hu, A.C. Hayes, W.B. Wilson and Rizwan-uddin, Fission Gas Production in Reactor Fuels Including the Effects of Ternary Fission, Nuclear Engg and Design, 240, 3751?3757 (2010).
- Teruel F., Rizwan-uddin, Numerical computation of macroscopic turbulence quantities in representative elementary volumes of the porous medium, Int J Heat Mass Transfer, 53, 5190?5198 (2010).
- Suneet Singh and Rizwan-uddin, Parallel Modified Nodal Integral Method for 3D Time-dependent Incompressible Navier-Stokes & Energy Equations, Progress in Computational Fluid Dynamics, An International Journal, 10, No. 2, 100-112, 2010.
- Prashant K Jain, Suneet Singh, Rizwan-uddin, An Exact Analytical Solution for Two-Dimensional, Unsteady, Multilayer Heat Conduction in Spherical Coordinates, Int. Journal of Heat & Mass Transfer, 53, 2133?2142 (2010).
- Federico Teruel and Rizwan-uddin, An Innovative Research Reactor Design, Nucl Engg and Design, 239, 2, 395-407 (2009).
- Teruel F., Rizwan-uddin, Characterization of a porous medium employing numerical tools: Permeability and pressure-drop from Darcy to turbulence, Int J Heat Mass Transfer, 52, 5878?5888 (2009).
- Teruel F., Rizwan-uddin, A new turbulence model for porous media flows. Part II: analysis and validation using microscopic simulations, Int J Heat Mass Transfer, 52, 5193?5203 (2009).
- Teruel F., Rizwan-uddin, A new turbulence model for porous media flows. Part I: constitutive equations and model closure, Int J Heat Mass Transfer. 52, 4264?4272 (2009).
- Suneet Singh and Rizwan-uddin, k-ε Modeling Using Modified Nodal Integral Method, Nucl. Engg and Design, 239, 1314?1322 (2009).
- Prashant K Jain, Adrian Tentner and Rizwan-uddin, A Lattice Boltzmann Framework to Simulate Boiling Water Reactor Core Hydrodynamics, Computer and Mathematics with Applications, 58 , No. 5 , 975-986, (2009).
- Prashant K Jain, Suneet Singh, Rizwan-uddin, Transient Analytical Solution to Asymmetric Heat Conduction in a Multilayer Annulus, Journal of Heat Transfer, 131, 011304?1-7 (2009).
- Prashant K Jain, Rizwan-uddin, ?Numerical analysis of supercritical flow instabilities in a natural circulation loop,? Nuclear Engineering and Design, 238, 1947?1957 (2008).
- Abdelhamid Dokhane, Dieter Hennig, Rizwan-uddin, Rakesh Chawla, BWR stability and bifurcation analysis using reduced order models and system codes: Identification of a subcritical Hopf bifurcation using RAMONA, Annals of Nuclear Energy, 34 (10), 792-802 (2007).
- Abdelhamid Dokhane, Dieter Hennig, Rizwan-uddin, Rakesh Chawla, Interpretation of in-phase and out-of-phase BWR oscillations using an extended reduced order model and semi-analytical bifurcation analysis, Annals of Nuclear Energy, 234 (4), 271-287 (2007).
- Sheldon Landsberger, Steven Biegalski, Sean O'Kelly, Rizwan-uddin, James Stubbins, William Miller, Mark Prelas, Kenneth C Okafor and Kenneth D Lewis, ?Recent Advances in Nuclear Engineering Education in the USA,? 71-73, Nuclear Energy, 2006.
- Rizwan-uddin, ?Turning Points and Sub- and Supercritical Bifurcations in A Simple BWR Model,? Nuclear Engineering and Design, 236, 267-283 (2006).
- Wang, F. and Rizwan-uddin, ?Modified Nodal Integral Method for the Three-Dimensional, Time-Dependent, Incompressible Navier-Stokes Equations,? Nucl. Sci. and Engg., 149, 107-114 (2005).
- Zhou, Q. and Rizwan-uddin, ?In-phase and Out-of-Phase Oscillations in BWRs: Impact of Azimuthal Asymmetry and Second Pair of Eigenvalues,? Nucl.Sci. and Engg, 150, 1-19 (2005).
- Wang, F. and Rizwan-uddin, ?A Modified Nodal Scheme for the Time-Dependent, Incompressible Navier-Stokes Equations,? J. Comp. Physics, 187, 168-196 (2003).
- Toreja, A.J. and Rizwan-uddin, Hybrid Numerical Methods for Convection-Diffusion Equation in Arbitrary Geometries, Computers & Fluids, 32, No. 6, 835-872 (2003).
- Toreja, A.J. and Rizwan-uddin, ?Adaptive Mesh Refinement for the Nodal Integral Method and Application to the Convection-Diffusion Equation,? Nucl. Sci. Engineering, 142, 85-95 (2002).
- Rizwan-uddin, ?Comparison of the Nodal Integral Method and Non-Standard Finite-Difference Schemes for the Fisher Equation,? SIAM J. Scientific Computing, 22 (6), 1926-1942 (2001)
- van Bragt, D.D.B., Rizwan-uddin and T.H.J.J. van der Hagen, ?Effect of Void Distribution Parameter and Axial Power Profile on BWR Bifurcation Characteristics,? Nuclear Science & Engineering, 134, 227-235, 2000.
- van Bragt, D.D.B., Rizwan-uddin and T.H.J.J. van der Hagen, ?Nonlinear Analysis of a Natural Circulation Boiling Water Reactor,? Nuclear Science & Engineering., 131, 23-44 (1999).
- Aghili, A. A., Rizwan-uddin, M. P. Griffin and J. R. Moorman, ?Scaling and Ordering of Neonatal Heart Rate Variability,? Phy. Rev. Lett., 74, 7, 1254-1257 (1995).
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Prashant Jain, Emilian Popov, Graydon L. Yoder and Rizwan-uddin, "Parallel Simulation ff 2D/3D Flows Using Lattice Boltzmann Models (LBM)", Transactions of the ANS, 103 (2010).
- Prashant Jain and Rizwan-uddin, "Artificial Interface Lattice Boltzmann (AILB) Model for Simulation of Two-Phase Dynamics, (invited)", Transactions of the ANS, 103 (2010).
- J?Tia Patrice Taylor, Rizwan-uddin, Jacob Jacobson, "Material Flow Simulation in an International Fuel Supply Model," in Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, 100, June 2009.
- Jianwei Hu, A.C. Hayes and Rizwan-uddin, "Fission Gas Production in Reactor Fuels, "in Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, 100, June 2009.
- Kai Huang, Volodymyr Kindratenko, Rizwan-uddin, "GPU-Based Parallel Computing: A New Computational Approach and its Applications to Nuclear Engineering", in Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, Vol. 100, June 2009.
- Kai Huang and Rizwan-uddin, "Modified Nodal Integral Method Incorporated with Irregular-Shape Elements for Navier-Stokes Equations", to appear in Proc. Int. Conf on Advances in Mathematics, Computational Methods, and Reactor Physics—M&C2009, Saratoga Springs, New York, 3-7 May, 2009
- Hsingtzu, Wu and Rizwan-uddin" Live Webcast of a Nuclear Engineering Laboratory, "in the Proc"." of ANS/ENS CONTE - The Conference on Nuclear Training and Education, FL, 2009.
- Executive Committee member of Rad. Prot. & Shielding Division of ANS (1998-2001)
- Member ANS, ASME, ASEE
Service on University Committees
- CSE Steering Committee
Service on Department Committees
- Qualifying Exam Committee (rotated)
- Admissions Committee (department)
- Engineering Council Award for Excellence in Advising (2009)
- NCSA University of Illinois Fellow, 2008-2009 (2008-2009)
- ANS Students Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, (1998-1999, 1999-2000, 2000-2001, 2001-2002, 2004-2005, 2006-2007, 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2015-2016)
- General Electric (Teaching) Scholar (1997)
- Partial list of Excellent Teachers (1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- Outstanding Teaching Award (1994)
- Fellow of the American Nuclear Society (2014)
- Ph.D. advisor to the recipient of ANS? Mark Mills Award (Prashant Jain) for Best Ph.D. Dissertation (2010)
- Advisor to three students who received Best Paper Award (2005)
- Ph.D. advisor to the recipient of ANS? Mark Mills Award (Quan Zhou) for Best Ph.D. Dissertation (2005)
- Ph.D. advisor to the recipient of ANS? Mark Mills Award (Allen J. Toreja) for Best Ph.D. Dissertation (2003)
- Second Best Graduate Student Paper Award (2003)
- Second Best Graduate Student Paper Award (2000)
- Best Paper Award, ANS M & C Meeting (1999)
- Young Members Engineering Achievement Award (1999)
- University of Virginia?s Allan Talbott Gwathmey Memorial Award for Best Graduate Research in Basic Sciences (1988)
- American Nuclear Society?s Mark Mills Award for Best Ph.D. Dissertation (1987)
- Attended Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Retreat at UIUC, Jan 2003
- Taught NPRE-247 and NPRE-355 in Anderson Lab (4th floor of Engineering Hall) for future internet based curriculum for NPRE.
- ENG 471 - Seminar Energy & Sustain Engrg
- ENG 572 - Energy Systems
- ENG 572 - Energy Systems Practicum
- ENG 572 - EnergySystems Prof Practicum
- ENG 572 - Professional Practicum
- ENG 573 - Capstone Project
- ENG 573 - Energy Systems
- ENG 573 - Energy Systems Practicum
- ENG 573 - Energy Systems Project
- ENG 573 - EnergySystems Capstone Project
- GLBL 480 - Energy and Security
- GLBL 483 - Seminar on Security
- NPRE 100 - Orientation to NPRE
- NPRE 199 - Undergraduate Seminar
- NPRE 455 - Neutron Diffusion & Transport
- NPRE 480 - Energy and Security
- NPRE 483 - Seminar on Security
- NPRE 501 - Fundamentals of Nuclear Engrg
- NPRE 596 - Seminar in Nuclear Sci & Engrg
- PS 480 - Energy and Security