For More Information
- University of Illinois, Ph.D., Nuclear Engineering, 1987
- University of Illinois, M.S., Nuclear Engineering, 1983
- Middle East Technical University, B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 1980
- August 2013 - August 2017, Associate Head of Academic Programs, Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- August 2008 - August 2009, Fellow, National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCAS), University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- August 2006 - Present, Professor, Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering, and Professor of Computational Science and Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- August 2000 - August 2006, Associate Professor, Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering, and Associate Professor of Computational Science and Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- August 1996 - August 2000, Assistant Professor, Nuclear Engineering and Assistant Professor of Computational Science & Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- June -July 1999, Visiting Professor, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands
- 1992 - 1996, Assistant Professor, Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering, Engineering Physics, University of Virginia
- 1988 - 1992, Research Assistant Professor, Nuclear Engineering and Engineering Physics, University of Virginia
- Nuclear Engineering Education
- Virtual Reality
- Computational Biology
- Nonlinear Dynamical Systems
- Reactor Thermal Hydraulics and Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Homogenization Techniques
- Nuclear Reactor Theory
- Computational Methods
- Advanced Reactor Designs
- Computational Multi-Fluid Dynamics
- Instrumentation and Control
- Multi-Physics Modeling and Simulation
- Reactor Analysis Methods
- Reactor Physics
- Reactor Thermal-Hydraulics
- Reactor Transient and Accident Analysis
- Training and Education, Human Factors
- Twoâ€Phase Flow and Heat Transfer
- Verification, Validation and Uncertainty Methods
Selected Articles in Journals
- Anjie Hu, Longjian Li, Rizwan-uddin, Force Method in a Pseudo-Potential Lattice Boltzmann Model, Journal of Computational Physics , 294, 78-89, (2015).
- Rijan Shrestha and Rizwan-uddin, Modeling space-time evolution of flux in a traveling wave reactor, Annals of Nuclear Energy, 70, 90-95 (2014)
- Hitesh Bindra and Rizwan-uddin, Effects of modeling assumptions on the stability domain of BWRs, Annals of Nuclear Energy, 67, 13-20 (2014)
- Suneet Singh, Prashant K Jain, Rizwan-uddin, Finite Integral Transform Technique to Solve Asymmetric Heat Conduction in a Multilayer Annulus with Time Dependent Boundary Conditions, Nuclear Engg and Design, 241, 144-154 (2011).
- Jianwei Hu, A.C. Hayes, W.B. Wilson and Rizwan-uddin, Fission Gas Production in Reactor Fuels Including the Effects of Ternary Fission, Nuclear Engg and Design, 240, 3751-3757 (2010).
- Teruel F., Rizwan-uddin, Numerical Computation of Macroscopic Turbulence Quantities in Representative Elementary Volumes of the Porous Medium, Int J Heat Mass Transfer, 53, 5190-5198 (2010).
- Suneet Singh and Rizwan-uddin, Parallel Modified Nodal Integral Method for 3D Time-dependent Incompressible Navier-Stokes & Energy Equations, Progress in Computational Fluid Dynamics, An International Journal, 10, No. 2, 100-112 (2010).
- Prashant K Jain, Suneet Singh, Rizwan-uddin, An Exact Analytical Solution for Two-Dimensional, Unsteady, Multilayer Heat Conduction in Spherical Coordinates, Int. Journal of Heat & Mass Transfer, 53, 2133-2142 (2010).
- Federico Teruel and Rizwan-uddin, An Innovative Research Reactor Design, Nucl Engg and Design, 239, 2, 395-407 (2009).
- Teruel F., Rizwan-uddin, Characterization of a porous medium employing numerical tools: Permeability and pressure-drop from Darcy to turbulence, Int J Heat Mass Transfer, 52, 5878-5888 (2009).
- Teruel F., Rizwan-uddin, A new turbulence model for porous media flows. Part II: analysis and validation using microscopic simulations, Int J Heat Mass Transfer, 52, 5193-5203 (2009).
- Teruel F., Rizwan-uddin, A new turbulence model for porous media flows. Part I: constitutive equations and model closure, Int J Heat Mass Transfer. 52, 4264-4272 (2009).
- Suneet Singh and Rizwan-uddin, k-Îµ Modeling Using Modified Nodal Integral Method, Nucl. Engg and Design, 239, 1314-1322 (2009).
- Prashant K Jain, Adrian Tentner and Rizwan-uddin, A Lattice Boltzmann Framework to Simulate Boiling Water Reactor Core Hydrodynamics, Computer and Mathematics with Applications, 58, No. 5 , 975-986 (2009).
- Prashant K Jain, Suneet Singh, Rizwan-uddin, Transient Analytical Solution to Asymmetric Heat Conduction in a Multilayer Annulus, Journal of Heat Transfer, 131, 011304, 1-7 (2009).
- Prashant K Jain, Rizwan-uddin, Numerical analysis of supercritical flow instabilities in a natural circulation loop, Nuclear Engineering and Design, 238, 1947â€“1957 (2008).
- Abdelhamid Dokhane, Dieter Hennig, Rizwan-uddin, Rakesh Chawla, BWR stability and bifurcation analysis using reduced order models and system codes: Identification of a subcritical Hopf bifurcation using RAMONA, Annals of Nuclear Energy, 34 (10), 792-802 (2007).
- Abdelhamid Dokhane, Dieter Hennig, Rizwan-uddin, Rakesh Chawla, Interpretation of in-phase and out-of-phase BWR oscillations using an extended reduced order model and semi-analytical bifurcation analysis, Annals of Nuclear Energy, 234 (4), 271-287 (2007).
- Sheldon Landsberger, Steven Biegalski, Sean O'Kelly, Rizwan-uddin, James Stubbins, William Miller, Mark Prelas, Kenneth C Okafor and Kenneth D Lewis, Recent Advances in Nuclear Engineering Education in the USA, 71-73, Nuclear Energy, (2006).
- Rizwan-uddin, Turning Points and Sub- and Supercritical Bifurcations in A Simple BWR Model, Nuclear Engineering and Design, 236, 267-283 (2006).
- Fei Wang and Rizwan-uddin, Modified Nodal Integral Method for the Three-Dimensional, Time-Dependent, Incompressible Navier-Stokes Equations, Nucl. Sci. and Engg., 149, 107-114 (2005).
- Quan Zhou and Rizwan-uddin, In-phase and Out-of-Phase Oscillations in BWRs: Impact of Azimuthal Asymmetry and Second Pair of Eigenvalues, Nucl. Sci. and Engg, 151, 95-113 (2005).
- Fei Wang and Rizwan-uddin, A Modified Nodal Scheme for the Time-Dependent, Incompressible Navier-Stokes Equations, J. Comp. Physics, 187, 168-196 (2003).
- Allen J. Toreja and Rizwan-uddin, Hybrid Numerical Methods for Convection-Diffusion Equation in Arbitrary Geometries, Computers & Fluids, 32, No. 6, 835-872 (2003).
- Allen J. Toreja and Rizwan-uddin, Adaptive Mesh Refinement for the Time-Dependent Nodal Integral Method, Nucl. Sci. Engg, 142, 85-95 (2002).
- Rizwan-uddin, Comparison of the Nodal Integral Method and Non-Standard Finite-Difference Schemes for the Fisher Equation, SIAM J. Scientific Computing, 22 (6), 1926-1942 (2001).
- D.D.B. van Bragt, Rizwan-uddin and T.H.J.J. van der Hagen, Effect of Void Distribution Parameter and Axial Power Profile on BWR Bifurcation Characteristics, Nuclear Science & Engineering, 134, 227-235, (2000).
- D.D.B. van Bragt, Rizwan-uddin and T.H.J.J. van der Hagen, Nonlinear Analysis of a Natural Circulation Boiling Water Reactor, Nuclear Science & Engineering, 131, 23-44 (1999).
- A.A. Aghili, Rizwan uddin, M.P. Griffin and J.R. Moorman, Scaling and Ordering of Neonatal Heart Rate Variability, Phy. Rev. Lett., 74, 7, 1254 1257 (1995).
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Kai Huang and Rizwan-uddin, Modified Nodal Integral Method Incorporated with Irregular-Shape Elements for Navier-Stokes Equations, in Proc. Int. Conf on Advances in Mathematics, Computational Methods, and Reactor Physics-M&C2009, Saratoga Springs, New York, May 3-7 (2009).
- Hsingtzu, Wu and Rizwan-uddin Live Webcast of a Nuclear Engineering Laboratory, in the Proc. of ANS/ENS CONTE - The Conference on Nuclear Training and Education, FL (2009).
- Executive Committee member of Rad. Prot. & Shielding Division of American Nuclear Society (1998-2001)
- Member American Nuclear Society (ANS), American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
Service on University Committees
- Computational Science and Engineering (CSE) Steering Committee
Service on Department Committees
- Qualifying Exam Committee (rotated)
- Engineering Council Award for Excellence in Advising (2009)
- NCSA University of Illinois Fellow, 2008-2009 (2008-2009)
- ANS Students Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, (1998-1999, 1999-2000, 2000-2001, 2001-2002, 2004-2005, 2006-2007, 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2015-2016)
- General Electric (Teaching) Scholar (1997)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Student (1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020)
- Outstanding Teaching Award (1994)
- Fellow of the American Nuclear Society (2014)
- Ph.D. advisor to the recipient of American Nuclear Society's Mark Mills Award (Prashant Jain) for Best Ph.D. Dissertation (2010)
- Advisor to three students who received Best Paper Award (2005)
- Ph.D. advisor to the recipient of American Nuclear Society's' Mark Mills Award (Quan Zhou) for Best Ph.D. Dissertation (2005)
- Ph.D. advisor to the recipient of American Nuclear Society's Mark Mills Award (Allen J. Toreja) for Best Ph.D. Dissertation (2003)
- Second Best Graduate Student Paper Award (2003)
- Second Best Graduate Student Paper Award (2000)
- Best Paper Award, American Nuclear Society Mathematics & Computation Meeting (1999)
- Young Members Engineering Achievement Award (1999)
- University of Virginia's Allan Talbott Gwathmey Memorial Award for Best Graduate Research in Basic Sciences (1988)
- American Nuclear Society's Mark Mills Award for Best Ph.D. Dissertation (1987)
- Attended Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Retreat at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Jan 2003
- Taught NPRE-247 and NPRE-355 in Anderson Lab (4th floor of Engineering Hall) for future internet based curriculum for Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering (NPRE)
Recent Courses Taught
- ENG 471 - Seminar Energy & Sustain Engrg
- ENG 572 - Professional Practicum
- ENG 573 - Energy Systems Project
- NPRE 100 - Orientation to NPRE
- NPRE 199 - Undergraduate Seminar
- NPRE 349 - Intro to NPRE Heat Transfer
- NPRE 455 - Neutron Diffusion & Transport
- NPRE 480 (PS 480, GLBL 480) - Energy and Security
- NPRE 483 (GLBL 483) - Seminar on Security
- NPRE 501 - Fundamentals of Nuclear Engrg
- NPRE 596 - Seminar in Nuclear Sci & Engrg