NPRE Illinois is incredibly proud of its students and the work their do beyond their years here. Graduating students from our department go on professionally to research in national laboratories, design and operate power plants, work in governmental agencies such as the NRC and DOE, teach as university faculty, attend medical school, become health physicists, pass the Bar Exam, open consulting businesses, serve as officers in the armed forces, and return to their home countries to contribute in their field.
Programs of Study
The Department of Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering (NPRE) offers programs leading to Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering. The Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degree programs are centered around five theme areas:
- Reactor Physics
- Health Physics
- Plasma and Fusion Science and Engineering
- Nuclear Materials
- Risk Policy and Assessment
Advanced course work and active research programs are offered in all of these areas.
The NPRE department also administers for The Grainger College of Engineering a Master of Engineering degree program with a Concentration in Energy Systems.
Joint Degree Programs
- Medical Scholars Program
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering
- Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) through the Medical Scholars Program.
Opportunity exists for specializing in:
- Computational and Science and Engineering (CSE) graduate option
- Energy and Sustainability Engineering (EaSE) graduate certificate option
The Medical Scholars Program permits highly qualified students to integrate the study of medicine with study for a graduate degree in a second discipline, including Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering.
The faculty and staff of NPRE ILLINOIS are available to assist in any questions you may have. Information can also be found in the following areas:
- MS and Ph.D. Degree Programs and Curricula
- Course offerings
- NPRE ILLINOIS Graduate Student Handbook (a supplement to the University of Illinois' Graduate College)
- Qualifying Examination
NPRE Graduate Students
Master of Engineering
Enrollments Fall 2022
LEADERSHIP SPEAKER SERIES
Providing a forum for global leaders to present policies and platforms that shape the sciences of nuclear, plasma and radiological disciplines is part of NPRE’s mission.
For more details or to plan a visit, please contact:
Coordinator of Academic Programs