Undergraduate Research

What is Undergraduate Research?

The Office of Undergraduate Research connects undergraduate students to an original scholarly project that allows you to explore a topic of interest and communicate your findings to others. You can pursue research in any discipline, including humanities and the arts, during any year of your undergraduate career. Your research will be guided by a faculty mentor and can take on many forms:

  • Individual project – a thesis, independent study, or creative project that allows you to explore the unique topics that interest you.
  • Course-based research – an individual or group class project designed to develop applied research skills.
  • Assistance on a research project – working closely with a faculty member or graduate student on an existing project to gain valuable training in how to conduct research.
  • Study abroad – taking your research abroad in a program designed with a research component.

The Illinois Scholars Undergraduate Research (ISUR) Program is open to all students in the college who are U.S. Citizens or permanent residents and are in good academic standing with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. You can also find Grainger Engineering resources on undergraduate research here.

NPRE Research Groups

PURE – Promoting Undergraduate Research in Engineering

Office of Undergraduate Research

Certificate Program: Make research central to your academic experience.

Sponsored by the Office of Undergraduate Research, the Undergraduate Research Certificate will provide you with an added credential to present to employers and graduate schools. Although the certificate will not appear on your transcript, you can add it to your resume. The Office of Undergraduate Research will provide you with a printed document showing completion of certificate requirements.

Apply for the certificate program today.