David W Miller
- Doctor of Philosophy - Bionucleonics Purdue University 1976
- Master of Science - Bionucleonics Purdue University 1973
- Adjunct Faculty, Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1997-present
- NATC Regional Director, Information System on Occupational Exposure, IAEA, OECD, Paris, Tokyo, Vienna & University of Illinois, 1995- present.
- Member of Illinois Governor's Radiation Professional Advisory Council, 1994-present
- Adjunct Faculty, Department of Nuclear, Plasma & Radiological Engineering, College of Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1993-present.
- Director, Plant Radiation Protection, Chief Radiological Scientist, Clinton Power Station, Illinois Power Company/Amergen, Clinton, Illinois, 1988-2001.
- Supervisor, Radiological, Environmental & Emergency Planning Services, Pennsylvania Power & Light Company, Allentown, Pennsylvania, 1981-88.
- In-Plant Radiological Engineering Design Group Supervisor, Sargent & Lundy Engineers, Chicago, Illinois, 1976-81.
- Research Fellow, US Public Health Fellowship, Cadmium Toxicity Project, Purdue University, W. Lafayette, Indiana, 1972-76.
- ACCESS relational database development for dose trend analysis
- Medical shielding validation studies
- Radiological Work Management Research at Nuclear Power Plants
- UNSCEAR US Effluent databases and analysis
- Tritium recapture modeling at Pressurized Water Reactors
- Colloidal source term removal and mitigation studies in primary coolant at light water reactors
- Occupational dose reduction at nuclear power plants
Chapters in Books
- Miller, D.W., Radiation Monitoring at Nuclear Power Plants, Radiation Instruments, Cember, H., Ed., Medical Physics Publishing, Madison, Wisconsin, Chapter 11, pages 223-240, (June, 2001).
- Miller, D.W., "International Cooperative Efforts on Decommissioning Information Exchange," Decommissioning of Nuclear Facilities, Slobodien, M.J., Ed., Medical Physics Publishing, Madison, Wisconsin, Chapter 12, pages 320-358, (1999).
- Miller, D.W., & Lazo, T., "Work Management at Nuclear Power Plants," OECD/NEA, Paris, France, (1996).
- Miller, D.W., Shymanski, M.J. & Doty, R.L., "Dose Management Challenges: ALARA and Unique Hazards," Radiation Protection at Nuclear Reactors, Maletskos, C.J., Ed., Medical Physics Publishing, Madison, Wisconsin, Chapter 11, pages 319-352, (1995).
- Miller, D.W., "A Relational Database for Personnel Radiation Exposure Management," Work Management To Reduce Occupational Doses, OECD/NEA, Paris, Chapter 4, pages 41-42 & 233-242, (1993).
Selected Articles in Journals
- Miller, D.W., & Harris, J., Trend Analysis of 1994-1999 US Nuclear Power Plants Gaseous and Liquid Effluent Releases, 11th Annual RETS/REMP Workshop 2001, Burlington, Vermont, June 25-27, 2001.
- Miller, D.W., Global Benchmarking Databases in the New Millennium: NATC/ISOE University of Illinois Director's Address. 2001 International ALARA Symposium, Disneyland Hotel, Anaheim, Ca., February 3-7, 2001.
- Miller, D.W., North American Pressurized Water Reactor 1999 Occupational Dose Analysis, 1999 ISOE NEA/IAEA Annual Report, Paris, France, November, 2000.
- Miller, D.W., & Harris, J., North American Gaseous and Liquid Effluent Databases for UNSCEAR Reports & Utility Benchmarking, 10th Annual RETS/REMP Workshop, Falmouth, MA., June 26-28, 2000.
- Miller, D.W., Brill, D.R., M.D., Bond, V.P., M.D., & Wald, N., M.D., Physicians Seminar Program For Physicians Practicing Near Nuclear Power Plants, (submitted for publication).
- Miller, D.W. & Doty, R.L., Update on the International System on Occupational Exposure (ISOE), 43rd Annual Meeting of the Health Physics Society, Minneapolis, Mn., July 11-16, 1998.
- Miller, D.W. & Green, W.H., Year 2000 Impacts on Radiation Protection Access Control and Dosimetry Recordkeeping Systems, 43rd Annual Meeting of the Health Physics Society, Minneapolis, Mn., July 11-16, 1998.
- Miller, D.W. & Smith, A.J., UNSCEAR Effluent Database Standardization Initiative for U.S. PWR's and BWR's, 43rd Annual Meeting of the Health Physics Society, Minneapolis, Mn., July 11-16, 1998.
- Miller, D.W., & Meriweather, J., Secondary Education Teacher Workshop on GM Survey Meter Distribution Initiative, 43rd Annual Meeting of the Health Physics Society, Minneapolis, Mn., July 11-16, 1998.
- Miller, D.W., Welding/Cutting Fatality at the K-33 Building, K-25 Site Oak Ridge, Tennessee, 1997.
- Emergency Medical Assistant Program Annual Seminar: Advanced Topics for Physicians Practicing Near Nuclear Power Plants, Philadelphia Electric Company, Coatesville, Pa., September 29, 1997.
- ANSI N42-18, "Specification and Performance of On-Site Instrumentation for Continuously Monitoring Radioactivity in Effluents," Member, 1995 - present.
- ANSI 3.7.1, "Facilities and Medical Care for On-Site Nuclear Power Plant Radiological Emergencies," Member, 1994-present.
- Appointed Member, Governor's Radiation Protection Advisory Council (1994-present)
- Recipient, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Special Achievement Award for Response to the Soviet Union's Nuclear Accident at Chernobyl, 1986.
- Appointed Life Trustee, Evangelical Hospital Association, Oak Brook, Illinois (1984-present)
- Recipient, U.S. Public Health Service, Radiological Health Fellowship (1972-76)
Recent Courses Taught
- NPRE 241 - Intro to Radiation Protection