William R Roy
100G Talbot Laboratory
For more information
- Ph.D. Soil Physical Chemistry, University of Illinois, 1985
- M.A. Geology, Indiana University, 1980
- B.S. Geology, Indiana University, 1977
- Adjunct Professor, Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering, 2007 - present
- Affiliate Faculty, Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering, 2004-2007
- Appointment to the Graduate Faculty, University of Illinois, 1988-present
Other Professional Employment
- Senior Geochemist, Geochemistry Section, 1999-2012
- Acting Head of the Energy and Environmental Engineering Section, 1998-1999
- Geochemist, Illinois State Geological Survey, 1993-1999
- Associate Geochemist, Illinois State Geological Survey, 1986-1993
- Assistant Geochemist, Illinois State Geological Survey, 1984-1986
- Assistant Geochemist I, Illinois State Geological Survey, 1980-1984
Major Consulting Activities
- 2013-present Natural Resource Technolgy, Inc. Wisconsin.
- Radioactive waste management
- Carbon sequestration
- Environmental impacts of coal utilization, chemical fate and transport of contaminants in soil and groundwater
- Solid-phase equilibria of natural and anthropogenic materials in aqueous, solution
- Equilibrium distribution and thermodynamics of chemical constituents at solid-liquid interfaces
- General: geochemistry, soil/environmental chemistry
Chapters in Books
- Nelson, J. W., R. J. Jacobson, S. D. Elrich, G. B. Dreher, and W. R. Roy., Coal. In D. R. Kolata and C. K. Nimz (eds) Geology of Illinois, Chap. 14, p. 263-282 (2010)
- Roy, W. R. 2006. The Environmental Fate of Antistatics. Chapter 20, p. 305-312. In J. Pionteck and Wypych, G. (Ed.) Handbook of Antistatics, ChemTec Pub., Toronto, Canada.
- Roy, W. R. 2005. Iron in Jay H. Lehr, J. H. and J. Keeley (Eds.) Water Encyclopedia: Oceanography; Meteorology; Physics and Chemistry; Water Law; and Water History, Art, and Culture, p. 496-499. John Wiley & Sons, Ostrander, Ohio.
- Roy, W. R. 2005. Remediation of Pesticide Contaminated Soil at Agrichemical Facilities in Jay H. Lehr, J. H. and J. Keeley (Eds.) Water Encyclopedia: Surface and Agricultural Water. p. 651-654. John Wiley & Sons, Ostrander, Ohio.
- Roy, W. R. 2004. The Environmental Fate of Plasticizers. Chapter 18, p. 591-614. In Wypych, G. (ed.) Handbook of Plasticizers, ChemTec Pub., Toronto, Canada.
- Roy, W. R. 2000. The Environmental Fate and Movement of Organic Solvents in Water, Soil, and Air, (Section 17.1), and Fate-Based Management of Organic Solvent-Containing Wastes (Section 17.2), p. 1149-1169. In Wypych, G. (ed.) Handbook of Solvents, ChemTec Pub., Toronto, Canada.
- Roy, W. R. 1994. Groundwater contamination from municipal landfills in the USA, p. 411-446. In Adriano, D. C., A. K. Iskandar, I. P. Murarka (eds.) Contamination of Groundwaters, Science Reviews, Northwood, UK.
- Roy, W. R. 1993. Adsorption-desorption methodologies and selected estimation techniques for transport-modeling parameters. p. 169-188. In Petruzzelli, D. and F. G. Helfferich (eds.), Migration and Fate of Pollutants in Soils and Subsoils. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Roy, W. R. and R. L. Holm. 2013. Decommissioning the University of Illinois Nuclear Research Laboratory. Journal of Nuclear Energy Science and Power Generation Technology (http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2325-9809.S1-004)
- Berger, P. M., and W. R. Roy, Potential for iron oxides to control metal releases in CO2 sequestration scenarios. Energy Procedia, 4: 3195-3201
- Glessner, J. J. G. and W. R. Roy, Paleosols in central Illinois as potential sources of ammonium in groundwater. Ground Water Monitoring and Remediation, 29, 56-64, 2009.
- Berger, P. M., W. R. Roy, and E. Mehnert, Geochemical modeling of carbon sequestration, MMV, and EOR. Energy Procedia, 1: 3437-3444, 2009.
- Tsui, L. and W. R. Roy, The potential applications of using compost chars for removing the hydrophobic herbicide atrazine from solution. Bioresource Technology, 99, 5673-5678, 2008.
- De Mello, J., J. Talbott, J. Scott; W. R. Roy, and J. W. Stucki, Arsenic speciation in arsenic-rich Brazilian soils from gold mining sites under anaerobic incubation. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 6, 388-396, 2007
- Co-Editor, "Journal of Environmental Quality", symposium papers on nonpoint-source pollutants in the vadose zone (see JEQ, 1999, 28, p. 357-512)
- "International Journal of Applied Environmental Sciences", 2005-present
- "Journal of Hazardous Materials", 1995-2008
- Associate Editor of Division S-2 (Soil Chemistry), "Soil Science Society of America Journal", 2003-2008
- Associate Editor, "Journal of Environmental Quality", 1991-1997
- Editor's Citation for Excellence as Associate Editor, Soil Science Society of America (2007)
- Service Recognition Award in the College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences, UIUC (2004)
- Council for Food and Agricultural Research Donald A. Holt Achievement Award (2003)
- Distinguished Achievement Award, Illinois State Geological Survey (1993)
- The (UIUC) Incomplete List of Teachers Ranked as Outstanding by their Students (Spring 2003, Fall 2003, Spring 2004, Fall 2004, Spring 2005, Fall 2005,? Spring 2008, Spring 2009, Spring 2010, Spring 2011, and Spring 2012, Spring 2013, Spring 2014, Spring 2015)
- The (UIUC) Incomplete List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students (Fall 2002, Spring 2011)
- Invited lecturer, NATO Advanced Study Institute, Italy (1992)
- Proposal Review Panel, Small Business Innovation Research Program, Water and Wastewater Management and Coal Bed Methane and Oil & Gas. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 2007.
- Proposal Review Panel, Small Business Innovation Research-Air, Water, and Soils. U. S. Department of Agriculture, 2005
- Panel of PhD Examiners, Dept. of Biotechnology, Bharathiar University, India, 2003
- Peer Review Panelist, Environmental Chemistry Section, U.S. EPA, 1997
- Peer Review Panelist, Physics Section, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1997
- GLBL 481 - Writing on Technol & Security
- NPRE 442 - Radioactive Waste Management
- NPRE 481 - Writing on Technol & Security
- NPRE 498 - Spent Nuc Fuel Storage Bedrock