For More Information
- Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Waterloo, Canada, 2014
- Affiliate Faculty, Carle Illinois College of Medicine, 04/2018-present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering, 1/2017 - present
- Stanford Molecular Imaging Scholars (SMIS) Postdoctoral Fellow, Stanford University, 04/2014 - 12/2016
- NPRE 451, NPRE Laboratory (Radiation Detection and Measurement), Fall 2017
- NPRE 451, NPRE Laboratory (Radiation Detection and Measurement), Spring 2017
- NPRE498, Special topic (Advanced Sensors and Readout Techniques: Design and Innovation), Spring 2018
- Image processing and data analysis
- Mixed-signal circuit design
- Application of nanotechnology for cancer diagnosis and treatment
- Biomedical sensors
- Molecular imaging
- Imaging detector technology
- Emerging X-ray imaging techniques
- Handheld biodiagnostic device for healthcare and the environment
- Health Physics
- Image processing and statistical performance assessment
- Instrumentation for emission tomography (PET and SPECT)
- Liquids and glassy materials
- Nanomaterial-mediated radiation therapy
- Novel isotope identification algorithms
- Nuclear Materials
- X-ray and gamma ray imaging detectors
Chapters in Books
- Semiconductor radiation detectors: Technology and applications, Chapter 1: Direct Conversion Semiconductor Detectors for Radiation Imaging
Selected Articles in Journals
- S. Abbaszadeh, N. Allec, K. Wang, and K. S. Karim, “Low dark-current lateral amorphous-selenium metal-semiconductor-metal photodetector,” IEEE Electron Device Letters, vol. 9, pp. 1263, 2011.
- S. Abbaszadeh, K. Rom, O. Bubon, B. A. Weinstein, K. S. Karim, J. A. Rowlands, and A. Reznik, “The effect of the substrate on transient photodarkening in stabilized amorphous selenium,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 358, pp. 2389, 2012.
- S. Abbaszadeh, N. Allec, S. Ghanbarzadeh, U. Shafique, and K. S. Karim, “Investigation of hole-blocking contacts for high conversion gain amorphous selenium detectors for X-ray imaging,” IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, vol. 59, pp. 2403, 2012.
- S. Abbaszadeh, N. Allec, and K. S. Karim, “Characterization of low dark-current lateral amorphous-selenium metal-semiconductor-metal photodetectors,” IEEE Sensors, vol. 13, pp. 1452, 2013.
- S. Abbaszadeh, C. C. Scott, O. Bubon, A. Reznik, and K. S. Karim, “Enhanced detection efficiency of direct conversion X-ray detector using polyimide as hole-blocking layer,” Scientific Reports, vol. 3, pp. 3360, 2013.
- S. Abbaszadeh, K. S. Karim, and V. Karanassios, “Measurement of UV from microplasma by a microfabricated amorphous selenium detector,” IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, vol. 60, pp. 880, 2013.
- S. Abbaszadeh, A. Tari, W. Wong, and K. S. Karim, “Enhanced dark current suppression of amorphous selenium detector with use of IGZO hole blocking layer,” IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, vol. 61, pp. 3355, 2014.
- S. Abbaszadeh, Y. Gu, P. Reynolds, and C. S. Levin, “Characterization of a sub-assembly of 3D position sensitive cadmium zinc telluride detectors and electronics from a sub-millimeter resolution PET system,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 61, pp. 6733, 2016.
- S. Abbaszadeh, S. Ghaffari, S. Siddiquee, M. Z. Kabir, and K. S. Karim, “Characterization of lag signal in amorphous selenium detectors,” IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, vol. 63, pp. 704, 2016.
- S. Abbaszadeh and C. S. Levin, “New-generation small animal positron emission tomography system for molecular imaging”, Journal of Medical Imaging, vol. 4, pp. 011008, 2017.
- S. Abbaszadeh, G. Chinn, and C. S. Levin, Positioning true coincidences that undergo inter- and intra-crystal scatter for a sub-mm resolution cadmium zinc telluride-based PET system, Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 63, pp. 25012, 2017.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Z. Liu, H. Wu, and S. Abbaszadeh, "Automated location detection of injection site for preclinical stereotactic neurosurgery through fully convolutional network," Proc. SPIE Medical Imaging, 2018.
- M. Li and S. Abbaszadeh, Simulation of a two-panel head and neck dedicated PET system, Proc. Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference (NSS-MIC), 2017.
- S. Abbaszadeh and C. S. Levin, “Towards a high sensitivity small animal PET system based on CZT detectors,” Proc. SPIE Medical Imaging, 2017.
- S. Abbaszadeh and H. Wu, “Automated location detection of injection site for preclinical stereotactic neurosurgery procedure,” Proc. SPIE Medical Imaging, 2017.
- S. Abbaszadeh and C. S. Levin, “3-D position sensitive CZT positron emission tomography system: current status,” Proc. Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference (NSS-MIC), 2016.
- S. Abbaszadeh, G. Chinn, and C. S. Levin, “Effect of energy threshold in sub-mm resolution CZT-based PET system,” Proc. Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference (NSS-MIC), 2015.
- C. C. Scott, S. Abbaszadeh, S. Ghanbarzadeh, G. Allan, M. Farrier, and K. S. Karim, “Amorphous selenium direct detection CMOS digital X-ray imager with 25 micron resolution,” Proc. SPIE Medical Imaging, 2014.
- S. Abbaszadeh, S. Ghaffari, and K. S. Karim, “Investigation of electrical conduction in polyimide/amorphous selenium films under high electric fields,” 25th International Conference on Amorphous and Nanocrystalline Semiconductors, 2013.
- (invited) S. Abbaszadeh, R. Keshavarzi, K. Wang, and K. S. Karim, “Indirect conversion digital X-ray imager using an amorphous selenium photoconductor,” Proc. 223rd Electrochemical Society Meeting, 2013.
- S. Abbaszadeh, K. S. Karim, and V. Karanassios, “A low dark current a-Se detector for measurement microplasma emission in the UV for possible use on-site,” Proc. SPIE Defense, Security, and Sensing, 2013.
- K. S. Karim and S. Abbaszadeh, “Radiation Detector System and Method of Manufacture,” granted, US9269838, 2016.
- International Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE) - Member
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) - Member
- Stanford's Jump Start Award for Excellence in Research (2016)
- Stanford Molecular Imaging Scholar (SMIS) (2014-2016)
- SPIE Optics and Photonics Education Scholarship (2013)
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship (2012-2013)
- Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology (WIN) Fellowship (2012)
Recent Courses Taught
- NPRE 451 - NPRE Laboratory
- NPRE 498 SD1 - Sensor/Imag Design/Innovation
- NPRE 598 SD4 - Sensors/Imag Design/Innovation