George H Miley
For More Information
- Ph.D., Nuclear/Chem Engineering, University of Michigan, 1959
- M.S., Nuclear/Chem Engineering, University of Michigan, 1956
- B.S., Chem. Engineering/Physics, Carnegie Mellon University, 1955
- Professor Emeritus, Nuclear, Plasma and Radiological Eng.- University of Illinois, August 2011 - Present
- Department Affiliate, Emeritus, Aeronautical and Astronautical Eng. - University of Illinois, August 2011 - Present
- Professor, Nuclear and Electrical & Computer Eng. - University of Illinois, 1967- 2011
- Associate Professor, Nuclear Eng. and Electrical & Computer Eng. - University of Illinois, 1964-1967
- Assistant Professor, Nuclear Engineering and Physics - University of Illinois, 1961-1964
Other Professional Employment
- President and Director of Research, NPL Associates, Inc., Champaign, IL, 2001 - present
Major Consulting Activities
- Department of Energy, Idaho Operations Office, Idaho Falls, ID
- Clean Energy Technologies and Biolife, Sarasota, FL
- Edwards Air Force Base, CA
- Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA
- Registered Professional Engineer, Nuclear Engineering, State of California, 1975 - Present
- Fusion energy systems
- Plasma engineering
- Low energy nuclear reactions in solids
- Direct energy conversion
- Nuclear pumped lasers
- Reactor kinetics
Books Authored or Co-Authored (Original Editions)
- Inertial Electrostatic Confinement (IEC) Fusion, (with S. K. Murali), Springer, New York, 400 pages, 2014.
- Life at the Center of the Energy Crisis: A Technologist's Search for a Black Swan, World Scientific, 250 pages, 2013.
- Edward Teller Medal Lectures, (with H. Hora), World Scientific Press, 378 pages, 2005.
- Principles of Fusion Energy, (with A. A. Harms, D. R. Kingdon, and K. F. Schoepf), 1st ed., World Scientific, 295 pages, June, (2000).
- Fusion Energy Conversion, American Nuclear Society, Hinsdale, Illinois, 468 pages, (1976).
- Direct Conversion of Nuclear Radiation Energy, Am. Nucl. Soc. & AEC, Hinsdale, Illinois, 600 pages, (1971).
Chapters in Books
- G. H. Miley, X. Yang, E. Rice, "Distributed Power Sources for Mars Colonization", Mars: Prospective Engergy and Material Resources, Chapter 23, Viorel Badescu, ed., Springer Publishers, New York, London and Paris, (2010).
- G. H. Miley, “Nuclear Power Plants” Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineers, (Fifteenth Edition, McGraw-Hill, Inc.,) section 5.2 (2007).
Selected Articles in Journals
- A. Krishnamurthy, G. H. Miley, P. Keutelian, B. Ulmen and J. Orcutt, "A Fusion Space Probe-Viper Ultra-High ISP Pulsed Fusion Rocket," Journal of Space Exploration, Vol. 2(1) (2013).
- P. Lalousis, H. Hora, S. Eliezer, J.-M. Martinez-Val, S. Moustaizis, G. H. Miley and G. Mourouf, "Shock Mechanisms by Ultrahigh Laser Accelerated Plasma Blocks in Solid Density Targets for Fusion," Physics Letters A, Vol. 377, pp, 885-888 (2013).
- M. Ghoranneviss, A. Salar Elahi, H. Hora, G. H. Miley, B. Malekynia and Z. Abdollahi, "Laser Fusion Energy from p-7Li with Minimized Radioactivity," Laser and Particle Beams, Vol. 30, pp. 459-463 (2012).
- G. H. Miley, H. Momota, H. Leon, B. Ulmen, G. Amadio, A. Khan, G. Chen, W. Matisiak, A. Azeem, and P. Keutelian, "Cylindrical IEC Fusion Neutron Source for Broad Area NAA," Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 133, No. 12, pp. 124502-1 - 124502-6 (2011).
- G. H. Miley and X. Yang, "Advances in Proposed D-Cluster Inertial Confinement Fusion Target," Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 244, n 3, Sixth International Conference on Inertial Fusion Sciences and Applications, (2010).
- G. H. Miley and H. Hora, "Hydrodynamic Studies of Laser Fusion Using Plasma Block Ignition Driven by Nonlinear Ponderomotive Forces," Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 244, 0220022-1 - 022022-4 (2010).
- G. H. Miley, H. Hora and X. Yang, "Ultra-High Density Deuteron-Cluster Electrode for Low-Energy Nuclear Reactions," Journal of Condensed Matter Nuclear Science, Vol. 5, 13, pp 256 - 268 (2010).
- M. Romer, G. H. Miley, N. Luo, and R. Gimlin, “Ragone Plot Comparison of Radioisotope Cells and the Direct Sodium Borohydride/Hydrogen Peroxide Fuel Cell with Chemical Batteries”, IEEE Trans. On Energy Conversion, 23, 1, pp.171-178, March, (2008).
- E. Byrd and G. H. Miley, “Simulation studies of the membrane exchange assembly of an all-liquid, proton exchange membrane fuel cell”, Journal of Power Sources, 17, pp. 222-228, (2008).
- M. Romer, G. H. Miley, and N. Luo, “Computer-Based Study of Second Emission Cell (SEC) Efficiency Compared to that of a Vacuum Type Direct Collection Cell”, IEEE Trans. On Energy Conversion, 23, 1, pp.331-341, March, (2008).
- H. Hora, J. Badziak, M. N. Read, Yu-Tong Li,Tian-Jiao Liang, Yu Cang, Hong Liu, Zheng-Ming Sheng,Jie Zhang, F. Osman, G. H. Miley, Weiyan Zhang, Xiantu He,Hansheng Peng, S. Glowacz, S. Jablonski, J. Wolowski, Z. Skladanowski,2 K. Jungwirth,8 K. Rohlena,8 and J. Ullschmied , “Fast Ignition by Laser Driven Particle Beams of Very High Intensity”, Physics of Plasmas, 14, 072701, (2007).
- L. Gu, N. Luo, and G. H. Miley, “ Cathode Electrocatalyst Selection and Deposition for a direct Borohydride/Hydrogen Peroxide Fuel Cell”, Journal of Power Sources, April 14 (2007).
- H. Hora and G. H. Miley, “New Developments in Laser Driven Inertial Confinement Fusion”, KLIMASCHUTZ und ENERGIE VERSORGUNG, pp. 89, (2006).
- A.G. Lipson, A.S. Rusetskii, A.B. Karabut, and G.Miley, “ DD Reaction Enhancement and X Ray Generation in a High-Current Pulsed Glow Discharge in Deuterium with Titanium Cathode at 0.8-2.45kV”, Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics, Vol. 100, No.6, pp. 1334-1349, (2005).
- F. Osman, H. Hora, X.Z. Li, G.H. Miley and J.C. Kelly, “Supporting the Josephson Interpretation of Low Energy Nuclear Reactions and Stabilization of Nuclear Waste”, American Journal of Applied Science, Science Publications 2(6), pp 1049-1057 (2005).
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- G. H. Miley, “Advanced Power Sources Based on Low Energy Nuclear Reactions”, 11th Tactical Power Sources Summit, Washington, D. C., January 27 – 29 (2014).
- G. H. Miley, “Discussion of the Design for a Fusion Space Probe – Viper Pulsed Fusion Rocket”, 19th Advanced Space Propulsion Workshop (ASPW2012) U.S. Space and Rocket Center (USSRC), Huntsville, Alabama, November 27 – 27 (2012).
- G. H. Miley, "Energy Gain for Deuteron Beam Fast Ignition of a Pre-Compressed Inertial Confinement Fusion (ICF) Target," High-Power Laser Ablation (HPLA 2012), Santa Fe, New Mexico, April 30-May 3 (2012).
- G. H. Miley, "A Potentially Game Changing 'Green' Power Source Based on Low Energy Nuclear Reactions (LENRs)," Potential Threat of Future Power and Energy Technology Breakthroughs Workshop, McLean, Virginia, March 27-29 (2012).
- G. H. Miley, "Power Challenges: Alternate Fuels and Energy Sources," IDGA 5th Annual Tactical Vehicles Summit, Alexandria, Virginia, April 23-25 (2012).
- G. H. Miley and J. Orcutt, "A Fusion Space Probe-Viper, an Ultra-High ISP Pulsed Fusion Rocket," Space Technology & Applications International Forum (STAIF II), Abluquerque, New Mexico, March 13-15 (2012).
- G. H. Miley, "Updates and Requirements of Power Electronics," IDGA Tactical Power Sources Summit, Alexandria, Virginia, Jan. 23-25 (2012).
- G. H. Miley, "A Game-Changing RTG Power Source Based on a Gas Loaded Nano-particle Low Energy Nuclear Reaction (LENR) Cell," International Battery Association (IBA) and Pacific Power Source Symposium Joint Meeting, Waikoloa, Hawaii, Jan. 9-13 (2012).
- G. H. Miley, X. Yang, K. Flippo, S. A. Gallard, D. Offermann, J. Fernandez and H. Hora, “Experimental Studies for Ultrahigh Laser Intensity Interaction with Targets with New Cluster Loading”, IQEC/CLEO Pacific Rim Conference 2011, Sydney Australia, August 28 – September 1 (2011).
- G. H. Miley, M. P. Reilly, B. Ulmen, P. Keutelian and J. Orcutt, "HIIPER Space Propulsion for Future Space Missions," COMSOL Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, Fall (2011).
- G. H. Miley, X. Yang and H. Hora, "Small Power Cells Based on Low Energy Nuclear Reactions (LENRS) - A New Types of 'Green' Nuclear Energy," 15th International Conference on Emerging Nuclear Energy Systems, San Francisco, California, May (2011).
- G. H. Miley and B. Boyer, "Fusion-Fission Hybrid Using a D-D Cylindrical Inertial Electrostatic Confinement (IEC) Driver," 15th International Conference on Emerging Nuclear Engery Systems, San Francisco, California, May (2011).
- G. H. Miley and X. Yang, "Fusion Power Sources for Mars Exploration," Nuclear & Emerging Technologies for Space (NETS-2011), Albuquerque, New Mexico, February (2011).
- G. H. Miley and N. Luo, "Integrated Hydride-based Storage System and Photovoltaic Solar Power Generator," Energy, Utlity & Environment Conference 2011 (EUEC 2011), Phoenix, Arizona, January (2011).
- G. H. Miley, X. Yang, and H. Hora, “Ultra-High Density Deuteron-Cluster Electrode for Low Energy Nuclear Reactions”, Proceedings of American Chemical Society (2010).
- S. D. Knecht, R. E. Thomas, F. B. Mead, G. H. Miley, and D. Froning, “Propulsion and Power Generation Capabilities of a Dense Plasma Focus (DPF) Fusion system for future Military Aerospace Vehicles”, AIP Conference Proceedings volume 813, pp 1232-1239, STAIF Albuquerque, New Mexico, 12-16 February (2006).
- G. H. Miley, H. Momota, P.J. Shrestha, R. Thomas, and Y. Takeyama, “Space Propulsion Based on Dipole Assisted IEC System”, AIP Conference Proceedings volume 813, pp 1240-1248, STAIF Albuquerque, New Mexico, 12-16 February (2006).
- G. H. Miley, “Studies of Energy Gain and Heat Production from unique proton reaction cells,” 4th Symposium on Current Trends in International Fusion Research: A Review, Mar 12-16,Washington, D.C., (2001).
- G. H. Miley and Nieto, M. “A Novel concept for CRIEC-driven subcritical research reactors,” Proceedings, 9th International Conference on Nuclear Engineering, ICONE 9, ASME, Nice, France, Apr 2-6 (2001).
- G. H. Miley, G. Selvaggi, A. Tate, M Okuniewski, M. Williams, D. Chicea, H. Hora, J. Kelly, “Advances in Thin-Film Electrode Experiments”, Proceedings, 8th International Conference on Cold Fusion, ICCF8, Villa Marigola, Lerici, (La Spezia), Italy, pp. 169-176, May 21-26 (2000).
- University Fusion Association, Sec. Treas., 1980-1982; President, 1986-87; Member 1980-
- Fusion Power Association, Member, 1982-
- American Vacuum Society, Advisory Committee Fusion Tech. Div., 1980-
- American Vacuum Society, Member, 1980-
- Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers, (SPIE) - Member, 1981-
- IEEE – Fellow, 1970
- American Nuclear Society – Fellow, 1960
- American Physical Society – Fellow, 1962
Service on Department Committees
- Fusion Studies Lab,-Director, 1975 - 2011; Director Emeritus, 2011 - Present.
Service to Federal and State Government
- Member, Advisory Board for DOE Fellowships in Magnetic Fusion Technology and Fusion Science, 1984-2001
- Member, CONTAG Review Committee, US Air Force, 1987-1991
- Chairman, Technical Advisory Committee to the IDNS Low-Level Radioactive Waste Management Program, Illinois Dept. of Nuclear Safety, 1988- 94
- Member, Governor’s Radiation Protection Advisory Council, Illinois Department of Nuclear Safety, 1986-present
- Member, Governor's Commission on Science and Technology, Fusion Task Force, 1983-1993
- Member, Oak Ridge Associated University Advisory Committee for DOE Fusion Science Fellowships; also Fusion Technology Fellowships, 1981-2001
- Independent Member, Nuclear Regulatory Audit Group for Safety for the Clinton Nuclear Power Station, Illinois Power Co., 1984-1998
- Integrity in Research Award (2006)
- Radiation Science and Technology Award (2004)
- Edward Teller Medal, 1995 (1995)
- Senior NATO Fellow, National Science Foundation, 1994 - 95 (1994-95)
- Integrity in Research Award (2006)
- Nuclear and Plasma Sciences Society Award for Fusion Research (2003)
- Fellow - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
- Fellow - American Physical Society
- Fellow - American Nuclear Society