Clifford E Singer
- Ph.D., Biochemistry, University of CA, Berkeley, 1971
- B.S., Mathematics, University of Illinois, 1966
- Director of the Program in Arms Control, Disarmament, and International Security, 1998–2005
- Professor, August, 1992 – present
- Associate Professor, January, 1986 - 1992
Other Professional Employment
- Plasma Physics Lab., Princeton University - Sept. 1977 - January, 1986
- Postdoctoral Research Assistant, Queen Mary College, London - May 1974 - Aug. 1977
- NSF Postdoctoral Fellow, Queen Mary College, London - Oct. 1972 - Feb. 1974
- NSF Postdoctoral Fellow, Massachusetts Institute of Tech. - Nov. 1971 - Aug. 1972
Major Consulting Activities
- Hamburg University, Summer 2009 and 2010
- Argonne National Laboratory, Summer 2007 and 2008
- Advanced propulsion systems, nuclear proliferation, nuclear power economics, South and East Asian nuclear programs, energy econometrics, climate change
Books Authored or Co-Authored (Original Editions)
- Energy and International War: From Babylon to Baghdad and Beyond, Singapore: World Scientific Press, 2008.
Books Edited or Co-Edited (Original Editions)
- Elson, A., G. Knaap, and C. E. Singer, "Using Tax Increment Financing to Provide Affordable Housing: A Financial Analysis of the King Park TIF District in Urbana, Illinois," in Craig Johnson and Joyce Mann, eds., Tax Increment Financing: Uses, Structures, and Impact (New York NY: Suny Press, 1998).
Selected Articles in Journals
- Singer, C. and H. von Brevern, "Uranium Price vs. Cumulative Use," Nuclear Technology 176 (2011) 227-237; available in extended form as University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Program in Arms Control, Disarmament, and International Security Report ACDIS SIN:1.2010 at http://www.acdis.uiuc.edu/Research/ResReports.shtml
- Singer, C. and J. Taylor, "Nuclear's Role in 21st Century Pacific Rim Energy Use," Global 2007 Advanced Nuclear Fuel Cycles and Systems American Nuclear Society Topical Meeting, Boise, Idado, September 9-13, 2007; available in extended form as "Nuclear's Role in 21st Century Pacific Rim Energy Use: Results and Methods," University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Program in Arms Control, Disarmament, and International Security Report ACDIS SIN:1.2007 at Research and Methods
- Singer, C. E., T. S. Gopi Rethinaraj, Samuel Addy, David Durham, Murat Isik, Madhu Khanna, Brandon Kuehl, Jianding Luo, Wilma Quimio, Kothavari Rajendran, Donna Ramirez, Ji Qiang, Jürgen Scheffran, T. Nedjla Tiouririne, and Junli Zhang, “Probability Distributions for Carbon Emissions and Atmospheric Response,” submitted to Climatic Change, 88, 309-342 and DOE 10,1007/s10584-008-9410-4(2008), available in extended form as “Probability Distributions for Carbon Emissions and Atmospheric Response: Results and Methods,” University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Program in Arms Control, Disarmament, and International Security Report ACDIS SIN2. 2007 at http://www.acdis.illinois.edu/Research/ResReports.shtml
- Singer, C.E., James Walsh and Dean Wilkening, "Reinventing Multilateralism", (2004,) University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Program in Arms Control, Disarmament, and International Security Report ACDIS at Research and Methods
- Singer, C.E., “How Can National Missile Defense Best Enhance Security?” Defense and Security Analysis 18, 293-301 (2002).
- Cox, D.D., J. S. Park and C. E. Singer, “A Statistical Method for Tuning a Computer Code to a Data Base,” Computational Statistics & Data Analysis 37, 77-92 (2001).
- Singer, C.E., M. Thakar, and J. Saksena, “Feasible Deals with India and Pakistan after the Nuclear Tests: The Glenn Sanctions and U.S. Negotiations,” in Asian Survey XXXVIII, 1161-1178 (Fall/Winter 1998).
- Ouzidane, M., C. E. Singer, and L. A. Bergman, “Spaceborne Centrifugal Relays for Spacecraft Propulsion,” Acta Astronautica 41, 35-42 (1997).
- Singer, C.E., “Look before you Leap: Practicable Steps towards Nuclear Arms Reduction,” Washington Quarterly, 20:3, 199-210 (1997) and The World Affairs Weekly (in Japanese, 23 Sept. 1997).
- Cheng, S., G. H. Miley, and C. E. Singer, “Helium Accumulations: A 1 ½-Dimensional Sensitivity Study,” Fusion Technology 32, 161 (1997).
- Qiang, J., C. E. Singer and A. Levinson, “Application of a Calibrated Transport Model to ITER Ignition Studies,” Fusion Technology 31, 311 (1997).
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Singer, C.E., “An Analytical Uranium Sources Model,” Proc. Technical Committee Meeting on Recent Developments in Uranium Resources, Production and Demand (Vienna, 10-13 June, 1997), IAEA-TECDOC-1258, International Atomic Energy Agency (1998), pp. 27-38.
- Singer, C.E. and B. Youman, "Radwaste Considerations for Economics and Siting of ITER and Fusion Power Reactors in Illinois and Elsewhere in the U.S.," Proc. 16th IEEE/NPSS Symposium on Fusion Engineering (Champaign, 1-6 Oct., 1995) 0335.
- Qiang, J., A. Levinson, and C. E. Singer, "Application of a Calibrated Tokamak Transport Model to ITER Start-up Study," Proc. 16th IEEE/NPSS Symposium on Fusion Engineering, 288 (Champaign, 1-6 Oct., 1995).
- Rethinaraj, T. S. G., and C. E. Singer, "Fissil Material Cut-off Treaty: Revisiting Indian and Pakistani Options," Swords and Ploughshares XVIII #1, 24-29 (Fall 2010)
- Singer, Clifford E. “Will Mankind Survive the Millennium?” Swords and Plougshares XIII #1, 3-6 (Spring 2001), University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign Program in Arms Control, Disarmament, and International Security
- Singer, C.E., “Space Weapons and the CD,” Bull. International Network of Engineers and Scientists Against Proliferation, 20, (2002).
- Singer, C.E. and J. Qiang, "Application of a Calibrated Transport Model to ITER Start-up Study," Bull. Am. Phys. Soc., 40, (1995).
- Singer, C.E., "What the ISWDA Taught Us," News-Gazette Guest Commentary B-3 (Nov. 1997).
- Singer, C. E. and A. Sands, “Keys to Unblocking Multilateral Nuclear Arms Control,” University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Program in Arms Control, Disarmament, and International Security Occasional Paper ACDIS SIN:3.2002, 9 pages (2002). Translations in Chinese, French, German, and Russian are available at http://www.acdis.uiuc.edu/Research/OPs_N-Z.shtml#S.
- Singer, C. E., Editor, “The New Nuclear Arms Control Environment: Trip Report and Project Conclusions,” University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Program in Arms Control, Disarmament, and International Security Occasional Paper ACDIS SIN:3.2002, 53 pages.
- Singer, C.E., “South Asian Nuclear Proliferation Research: Final Report” University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Program in Arms Control, Disarmament, and International Security Research Report 41 pages (2000).
- Singer, C.E. editor, “After the South Asian Bombs: The Global Implications of Recent Developments Concerning Nuclear Weapons,” University of Illinois ACDIS Course Reader, 250 pages (1999).
- Swords and Ploughshares, 1998–2005
Other Scholarly Activities
- Course Development: NPRE 480, Topics in Energy Security NPRE 491, Writing Seminar NPRE 492, Civilian and Military Uses of Nuclear Energy NPRE 493, Seminar in Technology and Security Preliminary and Final Examinations: Dept. of Nuclear Engineering
- American Physical Society
- American Nuclear Society
Service on University Committees
- Formed and chaired Student Service Advisory Committee to the UI-Integrate project.
- Convinced all three campus Senates and administrations to adopt uniform grade notation, values and course numbers systems.
- Formed and chaired Faculty Advisory Committee to the UI-Integrate project.
Service on College Committees
- Ad Hoc Committee on Energy and Environmental Sustainability Chair, 2007
- Engineering-Biology/Chemistry Liaison Subcommittee Chair, 2003 - 2004
- Physics Liaison Committee, 2000 - present
Service on Campus Committees
- Campus Energy Conservation Committee, 2007
- Illinois Energy Systems Institute Preparatory Steering Committee, 2007
- Joint Area Centers Symposium Planning Committee, 2003–2004
Other Outside Service
- Committee on Nuclear Policy, 1997- 2000
- Madhuri and Jagdish Sheth Distinguished Faculty Award for International Achievement, 2008
- Alexander von Humboldt Fellow (Federal Republic of Germany)
- NSF Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Faculty Teaching Seminar on the History of Strategic Weapons Proliferation, UCSD
- Peace and World Security Studies Faculty Workshop, Hampshire College
- International Atomic Energy Agency Conferences
- IMS Class Visitation and Evaluation Program
- Dean's Seminars and Workshops on Teaching
- University of Illinois Science Technology and Society Forum
- Princeton University Management Training Course
- Princeton University Alumni School
- University of London Extension Service Course
Recent Courses Taught
- ENG 471 - Seminar Energy & Sustain Engrg
- ENG 571 - Theory Energy & Sustain Engrg
- NPRE 480 (PS 480, GLBL 480) - Energy and Security
- NPRE 483 (GLBL 483) - Seminar on Security
- NPRE 498 S1 - Security Studies
- NPRE 598 S4 - Security Studies