Brent J Heuser
For more information
- Ph.D., Nuclear Eng, The University of Michigan, 1991
- M.S., Nuclear Eng, The University of Michigan, 1989
- B.S., Nuclear Eng, The University of Michigan, 1983
- Associate Professor ? 8/2000 - 8/2012
Graduate Research Opportunities
Graduate research opportunities in the areas of hydrogen-defect trapping interactions, transport and radiation damage studies in nuclear fuel matrices, accident tolerant fuel design, hydrogen in Zr-based alloys, nuclear fuel performance simulations, and neutron transport simulations in accelerator-driven subcritical assemblies.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Undergraduate research opportunities in the following areas:
Neutron transport simulations in subcritical, accelerator-driven assemblies using MCNP and GEANT4
Hydrogen phase behavior in metals
Transport phenomenon in nuclear fuel matrices
Analysis of thin film overlayers using x-ray based techniques
- Numerical simulation of neutron transport; spallation source moderator performance, performance of other sub-critical systems.
- Thin-film structures; growth and characterization of metal and ceramic overlayers.
- Neutron scattering techniques; application to the study of defects in solids and the behavior of hydrogen in metals; technique development.
- Hydrogen/metal systems; defect trapping interactions, perturbed phase behavior, characterization of hydride structures.
- Fuel performance modeling
- Hydrogen in metals
- Ion bombardment
- LWR fuel
- Neutron and X-ray scattering
- Nuclear Materials
- Reactor Physics
- Structural LWR components
Selected Articles in Journals
- Ju, H., Heuser, B.J., Abernathy, D.L., and Udovic, T.J., "Comparison of FANS and ARCS incoherent inelastic neutron scattering measurements of hydrogen trapping at dislocations in deformed Pd," Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, v 654, pp 522-526 (2011).
- Trinkle, D.R., Ju, H., Heuser, B.J, Udovic, T.J., "Nanoscale hydride formation at dislocations in palladium: Ab initio theory and inelastic neutron scattering measurements, Phys. Rev. B, v83, p174116 (7 pp) (2011).
- Heuser, B.J. and Hyunsu Ju, "Small-angle Neutron Scattering Measurements of Hydrogen and Deuterium Trapping at dislocations in Deformed Single-Crystalline Pd at Low Temperature, Physical Review B (Condensed Matter and Materials Physics), v 83, n 9, p 094103 (8 pp.) (2011).
- Pappas, H.K. Heuser, B.J., and M.M. Strehle, "Measurement of radiation-enhanced diffusion of La in single crystal thin film CeO2," J. Nuclear Materials, v405, p118 (8 pp.) (2010).
- Heuser, B.J., Udovic,T.J. and Hyunsu Ju, "Vibrational Density of States Measurement of Hydrogen Trapped at Dislocations in Deformed PdH0.0008," Physical Review B (Condensed Matter and Materials Physics), v 78, n21, p 214101 (5 pp.) (2008).
- Lipson, A.G., Heuser, B.J., Castano,C.H., Lyakhov, B.F. and A. Yu Tsivadze, "Magnetic Characterization of a Hydrogen Phase Trapped inside Deep Dislocation Cores in a Hydrogen-Cycled PdHx (x~4.5x10^-4) Single Crystal," Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics, v 103, n 3, p 385-397 (2006)
- W.C. Chen, B.J. Heuser, and J.S. King, "SANS Investigation of Deuteride (Hydride) Precipitation and Decomposition Morphology in Single Crystal Pd." J. Appl. Crystallogr., 33 442-446 (2000).
- C.I. Costescu and B.J. Heuser, "Effect of a Nitrogen-rich Surface Layer on the Sub-surface Deuterium (Hydrogen) Concentration Distribution in Ti." Surface Science, 450 242-250 (2000).
- Chen, W.C. and Heuser B.J., "Solubility and Kinetic Properties of Deuterium in Single Crystal Pd." J. Alloys and Compounds, v312, p176 (5pp) (2000).
- Heuser, B.J., King J.S., and Chen, W.C., "Small-Angle Neutron Scattering Measurements of Deuteride Formation in Single Crystal Pd." J. Alloys and Compounds, v292, p134 (14pp) (1999).
- Heuser, B.J. and Chen, W.C., ?Effect of Lattice Defects and Temperature Transition Rates on the Deuteride (Hydride) Particle Morphology and Phase Transformation Thermal Hysteresis in Niobium,? J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, 11, 7195 (1999).
- Heuser, B.J. and J.S. King, ?Effect of Dislocation Trapping on Deuterium Diffusion in Deformed Single Crystal Pd.? Metal. Trans. A., 29A, 1593 (1998).
- Munter, A.E. and B.J. Heuser, ?Deuterium Phase Behavior in Thin-Film Pd.? Phys. Rev. B, 58, 678 (1998).
- Keller, S. E., B.J. Heuser, and J.M. Carpenter, "MCNP Simulations of Neutron Moderation in the IPNS C Moderator." Physica B, 241-243, 30 (1998).
- Munter, A. E., Heuser, B.J., and Ruckman, M.W., "In Situ Neutron Reflectivity Measurements of Hydrogen and Deuterium Absorption in a Pd/Nb/Pd layered film." Phys. Rev. B, Brief Reports, 55 14035-14038 (1997).
- Heuser, B. J. and J. W. Althauser, "Effect of Deformation on Low-Temperature Deuteride Formation in Single Crystal Nb." J. Phys. Condens. Matter, 9, 8945-8961 (1997).
- Heuser, B. J. and J.S. King, "SANS Measurements of Deuterium-Dislocation Trapping in Deformed Single Crystal Pd." J. Alloys Compounds 261, 225-230, (1997).
- Munter, A. E., B. J. Heuser, and K. M. Skulina, ? Neutron Reflectivity Measurements of Ti -Be Multlayers,? Physica B, 221, 500 (1996).
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Bei, Y., Yun, D., Kirk, M., Oaks, A., Chen, W-Y, Holtzman, B., ElBakhshwan, M., Heuser, B. and J. F. Stubbins, "Irradiation Effects in UO2 and CeO2," Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, v 102, p 765-6 (2010)
- Pappas, H.K., Heuser, B.J. and Hyunsu Ju, "Measurement of Radiation Enhanced Diffusion of La in CeO2," Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, v 102, p 815-16 (2010).
- Strehle, M.M., Ju, H. and B.J. Heuser, "Growth and Analysis of Thin Filsm of U3O8 and UO2 on Sapphire Substrates," Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, v 102, p 812-13 (2010).
- Heuser, B.J., Terekhov, A. and M. Okuniewski, "Small-Angle X-Ray Scattering Measurements of Helium Bubble Formation in Borosilicate Glass," Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, v 94, p 339-40 (2006)
- B.J. Heuser, W.C. Chen, J.W. Althauser, "Small-Angle Neutron Scattering Measurements of Deuteride Formation in Nb." Trans. ANS 80 101 (1999).
- Munter, A. E., B. J. Heuser, and N. R. Guillermo, "In Situ Neutron Reflectivity Measurements of Hydrogen Absorption in Thin Metal Films," Bull. Am. Phys. Soc., 41 795 (1996).
- Monti, D. A., N. R. Guillermo, M. J. Hulin, B. J. Heuser, A. Toreja, and T. L. Moschetti, "Development of a One-Dimensional Small-Angle Neutron Scattering Instrument at the University of Illinois TRIGA Reactor Laboratory," Bull. Am. Phys. Soc., 41 1 (1996).
- Althauser, J. W., and B. J. Heuser, "SANS and TEM Analysis of Dislocations in Deformed Single Crystal Copper," Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 41 40 (1996).
Other Scholarly Activities
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Workshop on the "Application of the Spallation Neutron Source to Large-Scale Structures," Oak Ridge, TN, September 17-18, 1998, organizer and participant.
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Workshop on the "Spallation Neutron Source Instrumentation," Knoxville, TN, November 9-11, 1998, invited participant and break-out session leader.
- Argonne National Laboratory, Neutron and X-Ray Summer School, 1998-1999, advisor to organizing committee.
- University of Delaware, Workshop on the "Spallation Neutron Source Second Target Station", Newark, DE, April 20, 1999, invited participant.
- NPRE 247 - Modeling Nuclear Energy System
- NPRE 431 - Materials in Nuclear Engrg
- NPRE 432 - Nuclear Engrg Materials Lab
- NPRE 451 - NPRE Laboratory
- NPRE 531 - Nuclear Materials